How good is your organisation at analysing the data you produce? Carefully answer these questions (you can use a 1-5 scale to improve the resolution of the checklist, where 1 is low/poor and 5 is high/strong).
- Are data and reports separate entities?
- Does revision of reports require manual intervention?
- Is there flexibility in cutting data in different ways, that are useful, automatically?
- Are we able to “roll data” up to different levels of granularity?
- Are we able to easily mix data from different sources
- To what extent are we able to produce “real time” or live reporting?
- Are we able to produce live reports with “drill down”?
- Are we able to produce new static reports in a timescale acceptable to the internal customer?
- Are our customers able to “self serve” with reports on demand
- Are our customers able to design (appropriate) reports for their own purposes?
Use the low scores in this checklist (and the others on this site) to help you decide where to target improvement to your management control system and management information (MI) production.